Once again, we thought we’d share a few random ‘did you know’ facts. Technically these are not holiday facts, however, they could be great conversation starters for any of those holiday get togethers! Enjoy and share your knowledge!
1) Green Eggs and Ham was written sort- of on a dare. Dr. Suess’ publisher said there was no way to write a complete book with only 50 words. Pretty FIERCE response to a dare I’d say!
2) There are more vacant homes in the US than there are homeless. Seems like a natural solution here doesn’t it?
3) Until 2011, beer in Russia was considered a soft drink – not alcohol. I’ll bet reclassifying makes it a lot more attractive to the younger crowd now.
4) When Twister was first introduced it was denounced as ‘sex in a box’. Again, must have made it wildly attractive to the younger crowd. All about marketing!
5) The 1904 Olympics (St. Louis) included events like greased pole climbing, rock throwing and mud fighting. To be fair, these events were not considered part of the ‘Official’ Olympic games. There were plenty of other questionable events that took place during those Olympics, (which ran in tandem with the World’s Fair) which have tarnished that Olympics legacy. Must have been pretty amusing to watch the greased pole climbing though – just saying.
6) A full grown Hippopotamus can open its mouth wide enough to fit a 4′ child. Pretty amazing – and another really good reason to make sure no child is getting too close to the Hippos at the zoo!
Always fun to throw around a fact or two while mingling! Have a great weekend! -M