It usually takes weeks – months for some of us – to drop 5 pounds. But why wait to actually lose weight when you can look 5 pounds slimmer today? I offer, finally, options for looking slimmer that exclude the crazy suggestion to don ankle-breaking high heels and wear pants long enough to give the illusion your legs are an unnatural foot longer. I’m all about looking lean – but not at the expense of comfort! Which is why I’m also not going to talk about shapewear. And, just when you think it can’t possibly get better, as an added bonus you will not see the words exercise, pill, or broccoli uttered below. Here are 5 easy ways to get your slim on – instantly!
- Breakdown and bra-splurge. I know – getting a bra fitting falls so low on your “want to do list” that the only two items under it are “pap smear” and “colonoscopy.” But if your girls leave off where your stomach starts, you need a hoist – and that doesn’t happen just by tightening up straps. As important, a better-fitting bra can also leave you free of back-bulge and under-arm-overage – resulting in instant visual slimming.
- Cardigans are your friends. There’s nothing like a straight-cut cardigan in a quality, non-clingy fabric to visually smooth out hips, thighs and tummy. Length choice depends on the length of your legs, but you want something past your tush and the fullest part of your thighs. Get a couple in basic, non-seasonal colors like navy, khaki, or taupe, and you have an instant body-smoother for every outfit without the need for spandex body-squeezers!
- Go boating. Many of us gravitate toward turtlenecks in an attempt to lessen the focus on loosening skin. But the strategy can backfire. Not only do they end right under the chin (potentially emphasizing a slack jawline), but they can actually contribute to a bulky, thicker appearance. A better alternative is a flattering boatneck. With a wider cut neckline, the neck often looks slimmer and elongated. A square-shaped or wide-V-neck have the same flattering effect.
- Soldier on. Head up, shoulders back. Something as simple as good posture takes visual pounds off. And, in addition to looking better, exercising (whoops, sorry about that word choice!) good posture actually makes you feel better – both physically (hunched shoulders and slumped form take a toll on your body) and emotionally (studies show a connection to confidence level and ability to focus).
- Get bigger. Really. This is the most effective tip I can offer: Go up a clothing size. Forget about the number. Our bodies change shapes as we mature and the fit is more important than the number. For me, the scale numbers were the same, but the fit was different. So I bit the bullet. I, with dragging feet, bought the next size up. I was amazed at how many people commented on my “weight-loss” and how good I looked! Who knew that going bigger could leave me smiling?!