Friday Five is a random assortment of tips, thoughts or ideas. They may be connected, they may not. But they will be brief and leave you either informed, entertained, or with a smile on your face. On a good day we’ll hit all three!
1. There’s a word for that? According to Reader’s Digest, “TARTLE” is a Scottish word that is used to describe that hesitation that occurs while introducing someone because you’ve forgotten their name. I’ve been tartling for years and didn’t know what to call it. Oh my gosh, I’m a TARTLER!
2. Your best self-photo. (I loathe the term ‘selfie’ and only use it here to let you know why I’m not using it). Weight Watcher’s Magazine offers these two self-photo tips: (1) Tilt your head down about 30 degrees before the photo is taken – they quoted a study that indicated this angle made the face look thinner than staring straight into the camera. (2) When you smile, touch the roof of your mouth with your tongue to tighten facial muscles.
3. Favorite product. While I do enjoy an occasional soda, my go-to beverage is ‘flavored’ seltzer or sparkling water. No sodium (like club soda) and no artificial sweeteners (like all other diet beverages). If you like club soda with a spritz of lemon or lime, this will probably be right up your alley. Other flavors include black raspberry, peach, orange, grapefruit, berry and coconut. And the fresh colors on the cans make me smile.
4. Best cooking tip. About a year ago I heard Rachel Ray state that whenever one cooks pasta they should scoop a cup of the pasta water out before draining it. It’s the perfect liquid if one needs to thin the sauce just a bit. Now that I’m in the habit of doing that, I even use it to rinse off the pasta if it gets a little clumpy from sitting after it’s drained – it avoids rinsing off more starch with regular water or noodles too slick for sauce to stick to when tossed with oil to de-clump.
5. And speaking of portion control . . .