I recently read an article by Gina Barreca about her attitude toward aging – and her enthusiasm for doing so with panache is contagious! Here are 5 standout lines that made me say: I’m with ya sistah!
1. I’ve lived my life with enthusiasm, courage, raucousness and passion. Why on earth would I want to grow old gracefully?
2. I might also start carrying a flask. It might contain gin; it might contain Ensure. What it contains is beside the point: What matters is that I will be able to whip out a flask.
3. After a certain age, you finally become the indisputable authority on the subject of yourself.
4. It’s absurd to think that [when you’re old] you’re then supposed to spend all your time sitting quietly while people tell you dull stories about their kids (whom you don’t know), their dogs (who have a limited range of talents, although often cuter and less self-involved than their kids) or their gall bladder surgery (more engaging than either offspring or pets).
5. Rather than grow old gracefully, I want to grow old gaudily.
For more of Gina’s sass, read the rest of the article: Gina Barreca – I Won’t Take Getting Old Sitting Down.
And if you’re wondering what she thinks about bathing suits, I’ll let her tell you herself!