Celebrate the end of summer with a non-traditional Labor Day Luau*. Bright colors, tasty treats and flowing flowers stretch your summer through the first weekend of September without messing with the summer body you worked so hard to get. So trade in those ordinary hot dogs and burgers for some tropical delight!
1. Beach towel table cloths. Decorations don’t have to be expensive. The colorful beach towels you already own make a picnic table an exotic location. (Click the picture for a link to other fun ideas for things to make with beach towels)
2. Pass the pig. What’s a luau without pork? Try these bacon-wrapped pineapple bite-sized delights! [Click picture for Cooking Light recipe]
3. Tropical cucumber salad. A tasty way to stay hydrated while playing in the sun!
4. Hoola Hoop Contest. Nothing says Luau better than dancing the hula – but since most of us have never taken a lesson from a reputable halau, a hula hoop contest is a good comprise. No need to break it down into age groups – just three at a time and winner advances to final round. Way to get moving in between courses!
5. Coconut bowling: Who doesn’t love bowling?!? Kind of like bocce balls go Hawaiian. Pick up some coconuts at your local grocery store, dress up a few water bottles with palm tree cutouts, clear a few lanes, and ‘strike’ a pose.
6. Pineapple Cream Cheese Walnut Dip: Light cream cheese loaded with veggies and fruit and topped with some healthy walnuts – grabbing some ‘healthy’ just isn’t hard to do!
7. Pina Colada on a stick. Coconut, pineapple and strawberries – mmmmmm – an island delight!
8. Gorgeous Flowers: Luaus are all about the experience and without flowers surrounding the event, it just isn’t a luau. Grab some gorgeous blooms from the yard, ask your local florist for some blossoms that may be on their way out but have at least another day to shine, or create some fun paper flowers from brightly colored tissue paper. (Click the picture for info on the tradition of leis)
9. Low cal luau cake: Haven’t tried this one yet, but pineapple and drink umbrellas does set a happy tone! J (http://lowfat.betterrecipes.com/low-fat-luau-cake.html)
10. Laua Lanterns: OMG! These lanterns made with cocktail umbrellas are toooo fun. I need to get started constructing my lanterns for my next luau-themed party. These ROCK. Check out the video for instructions on creating.
* NOTE: M lived in Hawaii for years, and each of the ideas in this collaborative effort have been M approved!